This feature is available with the following pricing plans: Premium, Unlimited, Pay as You Grow
This article explains how to automate learner creation and course enrollment using SchoolKeep’s API. This requires knowledge of development. For schools using URL Authentication, simply use Group or Course share links to achieve automatic enrollment and account creation.
- Create group(s).
- Add course(s) to group(s).
- Create a learner. Learner will receive an invitation to activate their account. If the school is using SSO, learner will not receive an invitation.
- Add learner to group(s).
- Learner will be able to accept their invitation to SchoolKeep and gain access to the applicable courses. If the school is using SSO, the learner will simply gain access to the applicable courses when they authenticate to the school.
This section explains how to set up groups and course assignments. These groups will enable you to segment your learners and enroll them into courses.
- Create a group. This can be done in one of two ways. You can create a group manually through the UI for use in the API, or you can create it directly through the API.
- Example of when to create the group through the API
- You may want to take this approach if you are dynamically creating groupings of learners. For example, if you are collecting company name in your systems, you may want to create a group with the company name and then add the learner to that group.
- POST to “Create a Group” endpoint following the instructions and format in the API documentation. This endpoint accepts the group name. If a group with the same name already exists, the API will return the existing record which can then be used to assign the learner to the existing group.
- If you only plan to have a few different sets of learner groupings, and if those groupings are known in advance, this is a good option.
- Once you have created the group, use the “List Groups” endpoint and filter by name to find the UUID of the group. This UUID can be stored and re-used in your system. To ensure that the group exists each time it is used, use the “Retrieve a Group” endpoint.
- Example of when to add the courses through the API
- If you are creating the group dynamically via the API, it would be best to then add the applicable courses to the group. This will ensure that when the learner accesses their account, courses are available to them.
- Use “Add a course to a group” endpoint. To find course UUIDs, use the “List Courses” endpoint and filter by name.
- If you are creating the groups through the UI, you can also add the appropriate courses to groups. In this case, the API is not needed.
- Create a learner. POST to the “Create a learner” endpoint following the instructions and format in the API documentation. This endpoint accepts the learner email address. If the learner already exists, the API will return the existing record, which can be used to verify or modify group assignment, re-send their invitation using the “Resend email invitation to a person” endpoint if the school is not using SSO.
- Add learner to group(s). Use the “Add a person to a group” endpoint with the learner and groups UUIDs from Learner Creation step 1 and Group Setup step 1 respectively.
- Upon receiving email invitation, learner accepts it and gains access to the school and any courses they were assigned. If the school is using SSO, the learner will simply gain access to the courses they were assigned when they authenticate to the school.